Contenu
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Rechercher
Login
Qui est en ligne?
Nous avons 493 invités en ligne
Navigation
Home Forum
Les plus récents
Articles vedettes
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Discuss your level designs, ideas for new levels/missions, projects, or just simple visions. Almost everything is welcome here as long as it's at least half-way related to Descent 3.
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Custom guidebot
Re: Custom guidebot 2012-04-16 21:12, 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks,and no I don't know how to extract the gam from the hog. Also yes my original question to Mzero was to try and make a custom bot oof to replicate the Ba spirit in Egyptian myth that leads the pharoah through the underworld and takes the form of a bird with the pharoahs head.

Kind Regards

Fox1
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-04-16 21:48, 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Speaking about a new oof, this would become a hard task if you want to learn this from scratch.
You must set up a virtual Maschine with XP, otherwise OOF-Editor will not work. ALOOF ist too complicated in usage, this would be not the right tool to start with.
In case that your Ba spiri orf would be ready I can just make the offer to convert your orf file into the oof file. And sure you would get the needed gam-entry from me too. So if you would like that, mail me your orf or PM me a download link then.
Atan
Atan
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-04-17 18:04, 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Atan,

Thank you for your kind offer. I will take your advice and delete ALOOF and forget about it.

However, I already have an XP environment set up on both of my machines.So I would like to try to get oofeditor to work and continue up my steep learning curve.

I can then follow Papacats tutorials and see how far I get. The tutorial says use the D3Tool to import the Baspirit.orf once I have built it and then export it as an oof and follow further instructions.

On the gam file I have followed your guidance. I do have the d3.hog and I have extracted the gam file using the HOG 2 workshop tool and I know how to copy it into my egypt level gam.

I also found d3msinfo for extracting ogf and oof files and briefs32 in my search for the d3 gam file so I am now set for more hours of fun.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

Regards

Fox1
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-04-17 19:05, 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
That's fine!
Just one hint, extracting and importing from/to the hog/mn3 can be done with D3Edit, no need for a different tool. Inside the D3Edit Tool bar hit onto the Q button, that will bring up Hog-Editor and Quicktest. Just have a look. Quicktest is a very mighty inbuilt tool to make your missions.

And by the way, you can use OOF-Editor to import your orf-files.. or convert oof to orf's.
Atan
Atan
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-04-17 20:21, 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 8
In the scripts, if we want a guidebot message, for instance the guidebot says "follow me", we will have to write:
guidebot : follow me
or
ba : follow me
?
Mzero
Mzero
Gold Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-04-17 21:25, 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
I now see how to use Quicktest to find what I needed far more elegantly than I managed. For some reason best known to myself I had set the window size for Quicktest so small that you couldn't read the file structures.

Many thanks

Fox1
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-09 16:00, 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Atan/Mzero

I have been away so I thought I would share where I have got to so far.

I extracted buddybot.oof to my desktop from the D3Hog using the editor tab on the Quicktest tool in D3edit.

I then loaded the buddybot.oof into the D3-Tool clicked on Tool/Edit Window to see what characteristics the model has including parent/child sub model map...16 items for this oof. ( I made a note of all the settings for GNPT, GRND etc).

I exported buddybot using the D3-Tool as mybuddybot.orf and in D3-Edit added egyptian textures to all faces.

If you reimport the egyptian orf into the D3-Tool it has lost all of the characteristics of the model although you can manually re-enter everything except the sub model hierarchy using D3-Tool.This tells me I need OOFEDITOR.

I opened OOFEDITOR in my XP Virtual environment and set Preferences to load my custom MN3/GAM and OGF directory. I imported the buddybot.oof complete with egyptian textures and it looks really good but the model hierarchy has changed.

Suffice to say that replacing the buddybot in the D3Hog with my file didn't work.As well as not having the correct sub model hierarchy I also think that there are other buddybot related files that may be important to the game?

Preferences in OOFEDITOR enable you to export all parts of the sub models as individual ORFS but at this point I was thinking of giving up?

I have also created an egyptian looking robot using the same technique as above starting with a stormtrooper and applying egyptian textures. Because the model was exported as 1 ORF I have been able to edit all of the characteristics within D3-Tool except the sub models. The result is a rather effeminate looking stormtrooper who works but fires lasers through the base of it's tail.Unless you stand directly underneath you are in no danger!!

I guess I would need to texture the 16 ORF's that make up this stormtrooper and then reassemble them in OOFEDITOR using drag and drop??? Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome?!!

Am I on the right planet?

Regards

Fox1
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-09 18:41, 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
As I saw you would like to make it easy and extract and modify the existing object:)
You can do that, but place it not back into the D3.hog, use a custom hog with custom gam.
Never touch the d3 hog and save items back into again! You have to work with and use your custom hog, custom gam. And yes, all infos about animations etc are lost while converting to orf.
To own all submodells later you need to extract as single orf files with special faces. Then you have to replace the textures and 'clue' the single orfs to one without removing any verts. The orf parts must be 'seperated' even if verts share the same space. The reason is that these orf parts (arms, guns etc) can be animated later on inside OOF Editor.
The OOF Editor must have a path to your custom textures in setup.
Then you would have to do the hardest job ever, import, arrange and animate all again. It is possible but costs very very much time.

So, if you 'just' want to replace the textures belong to your extracted oof, want all it's animations, GP's, ATCH, NATCH, GND, glows etc, I would try a different way to do that first.

This is writen just out of my mind now, caution, it may be wrong:

Extract the oof from D3.hog.
Load it into the OOF Editor.
Look to the texture Tab.
Write down the Texture names (not filenames) of all the textures you want to replace! Look for the format (32x32, 64x64...)
Close the oof editor again you don't need it anymore, no need to save the file.

Prepare your custom textures to the same size as found 'above' and save them into the custom hog.

Open the D3.gam and search inside the d3.gam for all the textures (use the names you wrote down) and copy each single texture entry to your custom gam now.

Replace inside your texture entries the file name to the same filenames you saved into your hog.
Save your gam into your mission.
You don't need to insert the oof into your gam.

If I (and you:) ) made no fault, you should see inside the game all bots, which use that textures, with your new textures now. Think about, all robots which may use one of these used textures will show up your custom textures now.

If this is not what you want I will tell you a different way, a little more complicated, so just one robot type will use the new textures. But I believe the above way will do the job you want.
Give it a try and tell us where you possible stuck.
Atan
Atan
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012-05-09 18:43 By Atan.

Go to topPage: 1234