Contenu
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Rechercher
Login
Qui est en ligne?
Nous avons 96 invités en ligne
Navigation
Home Forum
Les plus récents
Articles vedettes
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1.
Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 00:06, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
The AI of these two guys has been broken during their transition from Descent 1 to Descent 2. If you place them in Descent 2 levels, they lose their ability to teleport (and maybe even cloak, this one's unconfirmed), and in case of the second boss, to spawn robots.

In this mission, I'd like to have both of these bosses included alongside their more advanced friends from Descent 2. The bosses won't come in the order they came in in Descent 1 and Descent 2, as the D1 bosses are generally much more lethal than the two first bosses from D2. We'll have to agree on an appearance order of the bosses for this mission, but it's not the issue right now.

The issue is: how to fix the AI of these bosses? This could take some doing, and a skilled programmer would have to change some code in the game file, and that's not something we are able to do. Therefore I came up with a simpler solution, which is, I think, feasible enough.

Someone who's into editing robots would have to extract the properties of these two robots, and then create identical robots for Descent 2 which would possess these properties. The robots would have an identical appearance and identical behavior to the D1 bosses, but would be different robots. I'm not sure if it's possible to make them emit that crazy perpetual sound they emitted back in D1, as well as the frightening death-roll sound, so we'll put the sound issues aside. I'd be grateful if someone looked and saw what could be done regarding this matter.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 07:20, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I wonder... could the D1 bosses be in Beta Ceti? Sort of in place of the Vertigo Bosses? (I think it's only possible to use Vertigo robots in XL... I tried it in Rebirth before and it just crashed the game).
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 14:46, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
Alter-Fox wrote:
I wonder... could the D1 bosses be in Beta Ceti? Sort of in place of the Vertigo Bosses? (I think it's only possible to use Vertigo robots in XL... I tried it in Rebirth before and it just crashed the game).

We'll see about that. I'd rather that the bosses are set according to their difficulty, so obviously the D1 bosses will not be coming first. But this matter is still open for discussion.

I tried to change the attributes of the boss robots and make a .HXM file for this mission. Tried it with RBOTEDIT and HAXMEDIT, but neither program allowed me to edit the teleporting property for these robots.
I've read about the .POF files contained in Descent.PIG (earlier in .HOG) which supposedly contain the data regarding all the robots and their behavior. If I can gain access to this data, creating a robot according to these categories would be no problem.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 20:00, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
I have some very good news! I managed to replace the D1 boss robots using an HXM file by robots created from scratch. If we include the file into our .HOG, these two bosses will behave like they should, with minimal differences to their D1 selves.

I still need to make some tweaks, like finding optimal sounds and altering the behavior. My second boss is too aggressive - he flies after me instead of remaining stationary. He will be given the flag of the second boss (the robots he spawns having the Red Fatty's flag are a tad too weak). I've replaced his weapons from Robot Megas to Player Megas, so he'll take away circa 180 shields in one shot.

Is there a boss in D2 or Vertigo that doesn't spawn any robots? We'd give its flag to the yellow boss.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 20:38, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
Great! That would be our first major stride with the mod part, eh?

Unfortunately there isn't any D2 boss that doesn't spawn robots. But giving it the Red Fatty Boss AI would be good enough for me. I'd like to see it spawning diamond claws (and none of the bots that the Red Fatty spawns drop any D2 specific weapons.)

On a related note, I know how you could give them their original sounds back *without* losing the D2 robot sounds. I've done it before with the Miniboss and the Class 1 Heavy driller.

You need to set the robot's sound to some sound that isn't used in singleplayer (for example, the "you picked up flag" )... then you can use DTX 2 to replace that sound with the robot's/boss's sound from D1.

The only thing you need to be aware of... you'll need to include the modified sound file in several places. Standard D2 and Rebirth use it as a global replacement, but that's fine because with the weapon mods, this is a total conversion anyway, and people usually make separate installs for those.

You'll also need to include one for each level in D2X-XL, as XL treats the DTX patch files like POG's or HXM's (one per level)... however, because of the weapon mod, we are going to need to provide separate downloads for Rebirth and XL anyway (it will make a lot of things easier, trust me). I can do all the work with setting up the mods... I know how to set the mods up for each D2 version.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-07 20:41 By Alter-Fox.

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 20:48, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
That's phenomenal. Ok, I'll give the two robots Red Fatty and Water Boss flags respectively, and will couple them with "stationary" behavior. Then I'll send you the modified HXM, which contains both of the modded robots. These guys are really fervid on Insane, they really kick ass. If you don't mind, explain more about the sounds replacement, as we could do it for all D1 robots (there's enough sounds for all of them I suppose). First, where to extract the D1 sounds from? Second, what to do with them once you have them?
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 21:50, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I can handle all the D1 sound stuff and get it to you when you get back from wherever you'll be. As I said, I've done it before... (it will have to be handled a little differently for the XL download, but I've done that before too).
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-07 22:04, 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
Ok, I'd say that the issue of the boss robots is concluded. Here's a 2-level mission in which you can see the behavior of the reborn D1 bosses for yourself. The only difference you'll see is the fact that the 1st boss does spawn robots, and that the robots the second boss spawns are up to Diamond Claw in strength too (better that than the weaklings that the Water Boss spawns, believe me). Other than that, the bosses behave almost identically to their D1 selves, but maybe teleport a bit rarer. They're both very tough, having 4000 and 7000 HP, (a Mega Missile takes about 180), the first figure being weaker only than the last two bosses from Counterstrike (4750 and 5500 hp), and the second being the most resilient boss of all). Needless to say, the 1st boss will not be coming down as easily as he used to, giving you much wanted challenge.

Enjoy the levels (they're just randomly textured, inverted boss rooms from D1 lvl 7), and use cheats as there are no supplies included

www.sendspace.com/file/6dg674

The behavior settings such as Normal, Sniper, Stationary, Follows and Still apparently get overridden by the boss-like nature of the robots, so they don't affect their behavior. What does, is the map_speed attribute. I zeroed it for the big red guy, and that did make him stationary at last. That's the way he was in D1 after all, like his lil yellow brother. The rest of the bosses will be unchanged. The only thing that you, Alter-Fox need to do with the .HXM is the replacement of their sounds for their D1 ones, other than that it's all ok.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-07 22:15 By Xfing.

Go to topPage: 123