Contenu
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Rechercher
Login
Qui est en ligne?
Nous avons 910 invités en ligne
Navigation
Home Forum
Les plus récents
Articles vedettes
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Discuss your level designs, ideas for new levels/missions, projects, or just simple visions. Almost everything is welcome here as long as it's at least half-way related to Descent 3.
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Custom guidebot
Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-09 19:26, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Atan,

Once again many thanks for stopping me going down another rabbit hole. I will read your advice carefully and try and implement your suggestions. I will come back with a report when I have given it some more effort and have something positive to say.

Kind Regards

Fox1
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-10 12:19, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Atan,

I will try to implement your first idea in the next few days.

In my egyptian level I have created textures based on the various crowns used in ancient egypt.

So my stormtrooper.bot is textured with the double crown signifying control of upper and lower egypt and it looks pretty good but is useless as a robot.

My thought was to use the white crown, the red crown, the atef crown, the nemses crown to texture other robots in other parts of the game defending various keys.(the 5 existing keys would be better textured as the various crowns but I am not sure I can do that.)

So I may need your second method if I want to have stormtroopers appropriate to each crown in various parts of the mine/tomb/underworld.

Other ideas I have are using the Ankh and Scarab motifs for powerups.(they represent life and renewal so they are appropriate).

I have heeded your warnings about creating complex orf's/oofs and have no intention of trying to build a fully articulated scarab robot.

If you think of anything let me know.

I now probably need to rebuild my entire level from scratch and address the various errors I have created since I embarked on my mission to use D3edit.

I am sure other beginners like me will benefit from this discussion and thanks for all your support.

Kind Regards

Fox1

Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-10 18:07, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
ok, so if the time will come that you'll need the other idea let me know.
Atan
Atan
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-12 12:27, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Atan,

My prototype egyptian level now has a guidebot with an egyptian Ba spirit texture and it looks pretty good, so thanks.
In addition I now have four separate egyptian themed stormtroopers based on egyptian textures. (Red Crown,White Crown, Double Crown and Blue Crown.)

When you preview the objects in D3Edit they show the rainbow texture but in the game they have the egyptian textures.

What is the second method?

Many thanks.

Fox1
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-12 14:13, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
When you preview the objects in D3Edit they show the rainbow texture but in the game they have the egyptian textures.Let's work on this issue first.
Start D3Edit, no Room or Level loaded you'll see the Menu-Point Data. Choose Data->Configure a mission hog now.
Press Change in the Dialog coming up.
Navigate to your D3\mission folder and point to your xxxlevel.mn3 and open it.
Press OK, read the Message and close it.
You may step over the reading and select the next needed Menu-point.
Choose Data->Tablefile Manager now.
In the second row press HOG Browse.
Select your level gam, which should be inside your level.mn3. (Otherwise your customs would not be seen in the game..) and open it.
Press OK in Tablefile Manager now.
After that step you should be able to see your custom textures and objects inside the Texture-/Object-Bar now.
Try it out, it must work otherwise something went wrong.
If it is working, then load your level into D3Edit as usual. Now you should be able to see your customs inside D3Edit as wanted.
Please try that out now.

If all will work I will go ahead because it's not completed yet. We can use some more inbuild helpers here. Let me know.
Atan
Atan
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012-05-12 14:15 By Atan.

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-12 18:07, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Atan,

I have done that and yes I can see my egyptian textures in textures.

I assume you wanted me to load table.gam otherwise you cannot see any robots in the object window.

But I cannot see the textures I have applied to the standard stormtrooper robots in D3edit objects bar.

What I see is a standard stormtrooper with the bits I have reassigned to my textures shown as rainbow texture.

When I open the level the robots work with my textures in place of the elements shown as rainbow in D3Edit.

Because some other robots which I am not using also use some of the standard Descent textures that I have reassigned to my ogf files they also show bits of rainbow on part of their bodies when viewed in D3edit.

I have only copied the textures fron the D3 table file into my egyptian gam and reassigned them to my .ogf files I have not changed the D3 tablefile

Sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted.

In D3edit the object names are clearly shown and the shapes are recogniseable.

It does mean that the first time you see the finished article is when you run the game.

What help do you need?

Kind Regards

Fox1
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-12 18:37, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
I assume you wanted me to load table.gam otherwise you cannot see any robots in the object window.No the table.gam is loaded every time automaticaly by D3Edit.
You should point to your egyptian gam which is inside your egyptian.mn3 you changed to before.

Once again:
You made your level, placed it into the egyptian mn3 file. You placed your custom egyptian ogf-textures into that mn3 file too. And you placed your egyptian.gam into that egyptian mn3 file too. All together this is your egyptian level (mission) which you start in the game. Right?

And this egyptian mn3 file should be choosed and then point to your egyptian gam inside this mn3. (howto is discribed my post before)
Then you can see that customs textures (you put into your level.mn3) inside the texture bars too. If you can see them, then you can see them inside D3Edit when you load your level into too.

See it this way:
The table.gam is the base. (never change it)
Now you can -add- your customs via your custom gam.
To see the customs inside D3Edit these ones must be loaded into D3Edit, this all is done if you follow the descriptions above.
If D3Edit will not find the 'textures' it will take that Rainbow texture.
I hope this made it clearer now?
Atan
Atan
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Custom guidebot 2012-05-12 18:47, 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Atan,

I am not sure about sending picture files but I hope you can receive this screen shot of the four stormtroopers working in my egyptian prototype.(It is a GIMP file and should be small enough.)

Regards

Terry
Fox1
Fox1
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234