Contents
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Search
Login
Who Is Online?
We have 148 guests online
Navigation
Home Forum
Most Recent
Featured Articles
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

The Fusion Unnerfing Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread
The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-08 03:05, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
I've checked around HAXMEDIT a bit, and found that it's possible to change the Fusion's power from there. I doubled it and saved as a weapon file.

The sad thing is, it appears that .HXM files don't have the weapon class category, so a simple replacement for each level is out of the picture. I can create a V-HAM that contains this modified Fusion, but what else would I have to include in it to make it actually replace the weak D2 Fusion? Is there any guarantee it will work at all?

The worst case scenario is a global modification of DESCENT2.HAM and pointing people towards installing separate instances of Rebirth just for playing this campaign. As it's quite a bit of a drag, I'll be searching for a better solution.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-08 03:10, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Technically Rebirth users will have to install a separate program anyway for the modified sounds. Those using XL can use the easy modding feature for the sounds and fusion mod.

I was thinking this should be a total conversion anyway, as it makes some other things a lot easier... (we're going to need a new descent.sng as well). I don't think many people mind installing a separate version.

Oh, and from what I know V-Hams only let you modify ROBOT weapons. (In fact I'm not even sure it was a V-Ham that enabled that mod in Entropy 2, as I've only played it in XL).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that people will go to the trouble to install it, since this mod is going to be so big.

Okay, I'm done here for tonight... it's 8:15 in Winnipeg and I need to do some work around the house and maybe do some stuff with my brother.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-08 03:19 By Alter-Fox.

Re: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-08 03:23, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
Alter-Fox wrote:
Technically Rebirth users will have to install a separate version anyway for the modified sounds.

Oh, really? I thought the sounds that got replaced are "shit nobody cares about" anyway, so even a lifetime replacement of the s11 and s22 files would probably go unnoticed for the most part. They could be replaced in the single instance of Rebirth installed, and the proper files labeled with an .old extension. This way everyone could return to the old files at will.

I was thinking this should be a total conversion anyway, as it makes some other things a lot easier... (we're going to need a new descent.sng as well). I don't think many people mind installing a separate version.

What's this file responsible for?

Oh, and from what I know V-Hams only let you modify ROBOT weapons. (In fact I'm not even sure it was a V-Ham that did that mod in Entropy 2, as I've only played it in XL).

V-HAMs maybe do, not the mother DESCENT.HAM. That's how all the weapons got revamped in "The Lost Levels". The Descent 2.HAM was replaced, that's all. We could simply do the same.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-08 03:29 By Xfing.

Re: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-24 17:45, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
I tried to edit DESCENT2.HAM to make global tweaks to the weapons, but HAXMEDIT said that these parameters are protected and cannot be changed because it would encourage multiplayer cheating.

I intend to put the fusion's power from 30 back to 60, and set laser power as it was in Descent - 10,11,12,13 and the Super Laser will get 14 and 15 + further increase in shot speed, making it extremely powerful.

The problem is the program doesn't allow me to change these parameters. What to do?
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-24 19:23, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Can you save it in a custom HAM?

(Honestly I've never used that program before so I'm just throwing this out there.)

Personally, I like the super laser at the power it has in D2... I think it would be disorienting trying to play another mission after if you changed that.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-24 19:24 By Alter-Fox.

Re: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-24 21:26, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
But the player will need strong L4 lasers for the Solar System. We'll see.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-25 00:29, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Then maybe we don't give the super laser out until late in the game? Or maybe give the player one super laser early, and then wait maybe 10 levels before giving him another one... (definetely don't let the player upgrade from level 4 to level 6 in the same mine like D2 counterstrike did).
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-25 00:29 By Alter-Fox.

Re: The Fusion Unnerfing Thread 2010-06-25 02:07, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
Alter-Fox wrote:
Then maybe we don't give the super laser out until late in the game? Or maybe give the player one super laser early, and then wait maybe 10 levels before giving him another one... (definetely don't let the player upgrade from level 4 to level 6 in the same mine like D2 counterstrike did).

That goes without saying
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12