Contents
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Search
Login
Who Is Online?
We have 69 guests online
Navigation
Home Forum
Most Recent
Featured Articles
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

The Soundtrack
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: The Soundtrack
The Soundtrack 2010-06-07 16:56, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
I'm not sure if you noticed, but on the first 5 songs I did, I tried to include some instruments that sound like the old FM soundcards that many players had when they first played Descent. Basically to give it a bit of a "retro" feel without sacrificing quality.
I think it would be a neat idea if all the songs had some kind of "retro" attribute about them. I know two other artists who like to do this as well (Pumo and Kaizerwolf).
I think at least 1 or 2 of the songs should use only FM synthesis... but in a way that still makes it sound modern (I know it can be done... I've remastered one of Pumo's songs from Descent Vignettes in this way).

I've been thinking we should have a full 24 song soundtrack (That's the most songs standard D2 and Rebirth support). I know how to get a high quality mp3/ogg soundtrack working in Rebirth now as well, so that isn't a problem anymore .

I could probably easily do 12 of the songs, seeing as I've done five already. I could contact Pumo and Kaizerwolf (I'm on very good terms with both of them... youtube friends, among other things), and see if they want to split the remaining 12 between them. I know Kaiz in particular is even more prolific as a musician than I am. Pumo has also done some really good "retro" style music.

If you give me the go-ahead, I'll contact them and see what I can arrange.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Soundtrack 2010-06-07 17:43, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
Yeah, sure, do as you please.

I'll also compose a track or two, as I've already done stuff in FL Studio.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The Soundtrack 2010-06-07 19:16, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
There was one other thing I was thinking about for the soundtrack... remixes of the D1 menu/briefing/credits music. (Pumo, Kaiz, and I can each do one, unless you want to).

Also I was thinking about which level each of the songs I've already made should go in... "Shadow Play" should be in whichever level will have the Limefrost Spiral boss from D2. "Awakening" is the theme for Litter Jungle so it should go in level 18 (because with 24 songs, the level 18 song will also go in level 42)... "Splintered Sanity" is for Vertigo Fortress so it should go in level 22 (as the level 22 song will also be in level 46). "Visions" should go in The Cauldron.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-07 19:51 By Alter-Fox.

Re: The Soundtrack 2010-06-11 00:38, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
I've included songs I like in each of my two levels, but if you find something better, I'm not too paticular.
Stroodles
Stroodles
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The Soundtrack 2010-06-11 18:50, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
It turns out D2X-Rebirth *does* support custom "redbook style" soundtracks for missions. So I'm creating that soundtrack (I've got seven songs done already) along with Xfing, Kaizerwolf, and hopefully Pumo (Xfing has told me that he does use FL Studio).

Each of the songs I've made so far uses at least one synth that sounds like the "instruments" from old FM soundcards. They're still high quality instruments, but the idea is they're a comeback to many people's first time playing Descent.

Having this kind of soundtrack would be invaluable because many newer computers (including mine) have very limited support for midi in games (for me the sound FX will cut out when I'm using midi music and many FX are playing at once.)

However, I think having a midi soundtrack would be nice too (it wouldn't take up much more space on players' hard drives, and it's easy enough to switch between the two in Rebirth. So we can use the songs you chose there.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The Soundtrack 2010-06-24 04:43, 9 Years ago Karma: 2
UPDATE:
Kaizerwolf would like to make some Redbook/D3 style songs for this mission, and Pumo may contribute 1 or 2, but he's also given us permission to use his song "Red Dew" (which I requested).

I've also done 2 or 3 more songs for this (the third one depends on whether I will use it in a small D2X-XL levelset I'm building to test a new feature).

The other 2 are for Circularis and Falls of Truth (which I will build once I'm finished The Cauldron). The titles are "Blood Moon" (Circularis) and "Power of Insanity" (Falls of Truth).

I'm also planning to make a 16 song CD (including most of the songs for this project), which I'm going to release at my university in September to raise money for a charity (haven't decided which one yet). This is why the new songs will say "Splintered Sanity Ultra EP" in the album line.
Unfortunately I can't release the CD contents to the Descent community, as releasing it online takes away the point of selling for charity.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-24 05:28 By Alter-Fox.

Re: The Soundtrack 2010-06-24 15:18, 9 Years ago Karma: 5
Nice! I wish you the best of luck with raising the funds. I don't think if I'll make it in time to contribute my song(s), but I'll try.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The Soundtrack 2010-07-25 06:56, 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2
Thanks.

I have some good news for the music.

First, I've got 3 new songs for this project.
I'll send out all the songs I have to the team via PM when I send out my first level pack (L'aeev Installation, and Litter Jungle and Vertigo Fortress with aligned textures). I'll also send out instructions on how to get the mp3's/ogg's to play in Rebirth. The next Rebirth release will have full Redbook Emulation for custom missions, so it will work "out of the box" for Rebirth users, probably by the time this mission is released. (I've been PM-ing back and forth with Zico on his forums to make sure this will be implemented and that we'll know how to use it).

More good news: Pumo has agreed to do some songs for this project, provided he has time (he's busy with work and Pumo Mines at the moment).
He's also donated a high quality version of his song "Red Dew" (which I really like, listen to it here: Red Dew: House Mix, and listen to the retro mix here (Click English, R.a.M. Land, Miscelaneous music, and then scroll to the bottom of the page) Red Dew: Retro Mix).
I have to wait until August to download the version he sent me (something about expired bandwidth), but I asked for the retro mix.

If you don't mind, I'd like to pull Shadow Play out, at least temporarily, as Sapphire Wolf would like to use it in a D2X-XL level of his. (I want to pull it out so that I can check if he still wants it without misunderstandings). My brother would also like to use Shadow Play in a mod sometime in the far future.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-07-25 07:02 By Alter-Fox.

Go to topPage: 1