Contents
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Search
Login
Who Is Online?
We have 147 guests online
Navigation
Home Forum
Most Recent
Featured Articles
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res?
Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res? 2010-06-07 15:19, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
It's a tough choice, but personally I'm more inclined towards low-res. Here's why:

- We can extract low-res .PCX files from:
a) DESCENT.HOG
b) MAXIMUM. HOG
b) D2DEMO.HOG
c) DESCENT2.HOG
d) D2X.HOG
- Files from D2DEMO.HOG don't have hi-res equivalents. If we chose hi-res, we'd be forced to skip these pictures altogether, and it would be a shame to miss out on them.
- Hi-res files for DESCENT.HOG are only available externally, but still.
- Low-res briefing files would contribute greatly to recreating the vintage feel of the older games. Myself, I'd rather play my D1 and D2 at 320x240 if it were possible, but I'm having problems with setting it up (640x480 seems to be the minimum).

Let me know what you think. I'm all for low-res, myself.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010-06-07 15:25 By Xfing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res? 2010-06-07 15:23, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
For D2 you need to have both anyway (I've heard the mission will crash otherwise).
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res? 2010-06-07 15:30, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
Hmm. Maybe. DESCENT2.HOG has both of these types, but D2X.HOG has only the hi-res textures. We would only miss out on those from the Interactive Demo, unless someone has made hi-res equivalents for them. So, for low res we have all the sets except Vertigo, and for hi-res we have all the sets except the Ineractive Demo.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res? 2010-06-07 20:50, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
I know what we'll do. We'll use the hi-res variants where we can, and make our own hi-res pcx-es by print-screening the Descent 2 intro movie. This way we'll be able to salvage what we need, and all the briefings will be done on hi-res backgrounds.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res? 2010-06-07 21:46, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
I think I *may* be able to Hi-Rez-ize do the D2 demo screens in Irfanview...
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Briefing textures: Low-Res vs Hi-Res? 2010-06-07 22:06, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
If I'm not mistaken, the Interactive Demo contains a good option for the Eris levels (Eris is the largest dwarf-planet, larger than Pluto but about 3x as far from the sun). We can't use the Tycho Brahe pcx from Maximum, it would be too obvious. Just the cosmos and some planetoids floating in the distance would be a good option for the Eris level.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1