Contents
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Search
Login
Who Is Online?
We have 106 guests online
Navigation
Home Forum
Most Recent
Featured Articles
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1.
Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-08 02:10, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
Okay... it's a little more complicated now. From now on you're going to need a separate install of Rebirth for testing (I've already made one for me.)

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqm0ncmnud0

Once you have a separate install, extract this file to your rebirth directory NOT your missions directory. The test levels you made will automatically be put in your missions folder.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO OVERWRITE ANYTHING THAT IS ALREADY IN YOUR REBIRTH DIRECTORY OTHERWISE THIS WON'T WORK.

As you can see when you try this, I made replacement files for the files D2 uses to keep its sound FX.
I've already changed the boss sounds in your two hxms. In your missions folder you'll find D1BotSoundChanges.txt... this document tells you what you need to change the other D1 robots sounds to to restore their old sounds (I included them in the sound file as well). Note that I only included the sound changes for the robots which didn't get their original sounds carried over to D2.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-08 02:27, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
I replaced the .s11 and .s22 files with the ones you sent me, but their size was identical and the bosses keep saying "you picked up flag" instead of the sound they're supposed to be making. I think you just accidentally included the proper sound files, not the changed ones.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-08 02:38 By Xfing.

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-08 02:45, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
You were right ... sorry about that. Now it should work (it does for me). If not we have a problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ytfwonghzdt
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-08 02:52, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
It does work now! Great job there. I'm leaving in a few hours, but I don't feel like sleeping this night, so I might as well do some work.

If you can, please do also change the D1 boss death roll sound. It's very similar to that from D1, but not the same.

The sound made by the Advanced Lifter (or whatever was the red, laser shooting lifter called) is also a tad different, but it's cool as it is. The boss' deathroll sound is not that cool, so if you could find the original sound file and pop it in too I'd be grateful.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-12 23:53, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
I don't know too much about coding, but as for the robot sounds, there's an easy fix for that. In DMB 2.6 (what I use for everything besides lighting), When you edit the properties of a robot, all the sounds are in the top right area, you can just choose them from a list.

If you can't fix the teleporting, you can just use boss rooms that don't require it. One example of this is the mega missle boss from Vingettes that was inside it's own small sphere. For something along those lines, the cloaking\teleporting wouldn't be neccasary. (although I agree, cloaking\teleporting\spawning robots would be much cooler)
Stroodles
Stroodles
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-12 23:56, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
Too late for concern - me and Alter-Fox have already taken care of this. He's found a way to replace D2 sound files with those from D1, and I altered the boss robots' AI to match their D1 selves almost perfectly.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-13 04:59, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
Speaking of sounds, I also have to fix the medium lifter... for some reason I thought his "hiss" was in D2, but it turns out he just makes the theif's noise.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Addressing the issue of the boss robots from D1. 2010-06-13 13:27, 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
Alter-Fox wrote:
Speaking of sounds, I also have to fix the medium lifter... for some reason I thought his "hiss" was in D2, but it turns out he just makes the theif's noise.

Yeah, this thing just needs to be taken slow. I have an idea: i'll make a simplistic level made up of a series of rooms one after another, place all Descent 1 bots one per room, and this way I'd make a definitive list of the bots that need changing their sounds.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123