Contents
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Search
Login
Who Is Online?
We have 118 guests online
Navigation
Home Forum
Most Recent
Featured Articles
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

The level listing.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 123456
TOPIC: The level listing.
Re: The level listing. 2010-06-07 22:08, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 5
Oh. How interesting.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The level listing. 2010-06-07 22:24, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
I'm starting the Cauldron now. You gave me a better idea... one cauldron, with everything else built around it. The cauldron acts sort of like the hub room in some of the D2 levels. The reactor will be in the cauldron.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The level listing. 2010-06-07 22:31, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 5
Great, just remember not to exceed the theme. Also, before you start, check out the D1 Boss robots thread, I've posted a mission where you can see how the bosses work now. Give it a shot and correct what you see fit.

Also,

www.sendspace.com/file/fllfob

Here's D2X.HAM. Put it in your .HOG to be able to include Vertigo robots. I decided that we'll start including them in Beta Ceti, though.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The level listing. 2010-06-08 00:33, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
Also, I've figured out a better way to test the levels. I'll tell you the whole thing when I send you the cauldron, but you'll need a separate install of Rebirth (which could be a good thing, as you don't have to look through a huge missions list.

Xfing wrote:
Great, just remember not to exceed the theme.

Don't worry, I looked at your robot list and made a list of the robots I was going to use based on that (it's in a text file that I have open while I'm building.)

Feel free to do some tweaking with the robot types yourself when I send it to you (and when I send you the other two levels with fixed textures)... DFW did that for TEW and Vignettes so that the difficulty would ramp correctly.
Also, DLE-XP has a neat feature for moving robots to different cubes. (If you want to move some around).

Here's D2X.HAM. Put it in your .HOG to be able to include Vertigo robots. I decided that we'll start including them in Beta Ceti, though.

But Beta Ceti is only the last seven levels out of 47 levels... seems a bit of a waste to include the vertigo HAM file and not add the vertigo robots sooner... I would say start including them just after level 24, gradually making them more common (though the Fervid is so weak it could probably appear mid to late Sol system).
I think this should probably work... it's a similar method to the one I used to include robots from Mercenary in a D3 level (which has never been done before or since, mind you.)

UPDATE: well, I tested with d2x.ham and I still couldn't use the Vertigo robots, so this is moot anyway.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-08 03:01 By Alter-Fox.

Re: The level listing. 2010-06-08 03:17, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 5
I think that in order to include Vertigo robots in your levels you need to link the DLE-XP with DESCENT2.HOGt, the version of said file having to be recognized as "Commercial 1.2 Vertigo Enhanced" by Descent Version Manager (this .hog is sized at
7 595 079 bytes). The "vertigo enhanced" part probably just comes from the presence of d2x.hog in the missions folder, so it's reasonable to assume that you just need version 1.2 of Descent 2. I have a patching file, but it doesn't work, but I also have the .hog itself. Us Rebirth users pay no attention to the version, but the editor itself says that you need version 1.2 to include .HXM files, and probably also V-HAMs. I think that is the issue here.

About the vertigo robots, if we become able to include them, I agree with your view on the matter.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The level listing. 2010-06-08 03:55, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
I just thought I should build some of my old designs that I have on graph paper lying around the house... most of them would fit in perfectly, as they were based on D1 or on the D2 planets.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The level listing. 2010-06-08 19:11, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
I've finished the non-key areas in my level. I know Xfing has left, but i'll go ahead and upload the midi music files, the midi file site link, the updated first level, and this level once it's finished.
Stroodles
Stroodles
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: The level listing. 2010-06-09 00:55, 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
Rebirth supports mp3/ogg soundtracks so we're going to have that as well... I'm doing most of that soundtrack, though Xfing will be doing some of it himself and Kaizerwolf has offered to do some as well (his style is perfect for this mission's "theme").

EDIT: I am currently building The Cauldron (which I've already composed music for), and I think I'll also build level 20, "Falls of Truth" at about the same time... I composed music for that level yesterday and I have a nice idea for the level.

IMO it would be easiest for me to send you and Xfing my mines in 3 or 4 level "sets", as this way I can get the music to you as well (you'll just have to put the command "-music_ext mp3" in your d2x.ini).
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010-06-09 14:37 By Alter-Fox.

Go to topPage: 123456