Contents
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Search
Login
Who Is Online?
We have 114 guests online
Navigation
Home Forum
Most Recent
Featured Articles
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

About the project.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: About the project.
About the project. 2010-06-06 21:10, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
That's the name of the campaign I just came up with the idea for. It's a long-term, lucrative project with the general idea of making a campaign that contains levels reminescent of the original ones from D1 and then D2 + Vertigo and all the robots used in both games:

- Right now the bar's set at 47 levels + 5 secret ones.

- The levels will be divided into the following categories: Solar System, Zeta Aquilae, Quartzon, Brimspark, Limefrost Spiral, Baloris Prime, Puuma Sphere, Beta Ceti. Be sure to include those in the names of the levels you make, like it was done in Descent 2.

- The level design, if possible, shouldn't be thematic (not following a specific concept, of which a good example would be "Pinhead" from TEW). The mines should feel natural and reminescent of the original games.

- The Solar System levels should make extensive if not exclusive use of the textures used in the original D1 mission to recreate a 100% D1 feel. There are a few D2-exclusive textures that could help, but unfortunately most are deal breakers.

- Robots from D1 and D2 should be used simultaneously in all levels, being picked according to their threat rating and to the theme the level's set in (I'll cover this in another post). For example, Class 1 Drones fit Baloris Prime very well, while Class 2 Drones feel at home in ice levels.

- Descent 2 weaponry would start being included on a regular basis after the first chapter of the campaign, in levels placed outside of the Solar System. The secret levels of the Solar System, however, will contain scarce amounts of hard-to-get Descent 2 ordnance to spice up the gameplay and encourage their finding.

Other than that, the game needs some tweaks, and for that I unconditionally need skilled individuals' help. I'll cover these in some of my following posts.

Since the inception of the project, many techncial advances have been made to lay the groundwork for the project. The weapon damage has been restored to the D1 values for Lasers, Fusion and Spreadfire, sounds of robots that weren't carried over to D2 were also restored, and Pumo is currently working on a whole separate PIG file that will make use of the D1 palette.

If anyone's interested in this undertaking, please contact me via PM and we'll discuss the details! And before you decide to make a level for this set, please familiarize yourself with my other posts, where I give pointers and present the restrictions.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2013-07-22 18:22 By Xfing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: About the project. 2010-06-07 16:27, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Just a quick note... I know how to use the D1 textures that weren't in D2. DLE-XP makes POG editing like this very easy.

I'll test whether DLE-XP's POGs will work in Rebirth. I don't see any reason they shouldn't.
Alter-Fox
Alter-Fox
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: About the project. 2010-06-07 17:46, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
Now THAT would be awesome.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: About the project. 2010-06-07 19:22, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Is that Descent one and a half??
darkrunner5
darkrunner5
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: About the project. 2010-06-07 19:23, 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
darkrunner5 wrote:
Is that Descent one and a half??

Precisely! You add 1 and 2, calculate the average, and you ge 1 and a half!
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: About the project. 2010-10-31 01:10, 8 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 1
Is this project still alive?
burger
burger
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: About the project. 2010-10-31 14:40, 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 5
burger wrote:
Is this project still alive?

Most certainly! I'm very sorry, but recently I've been cut off the Internet, hence my lack of posts. I have no idea as of now how long will it take before I'm able to post regularly again, but that day is certainly gonna come. I'm working on the my first level as we speak, and am pretty close to finishing it (I don't plan to include robots nor supplies yet, that'll wait till the balancing stage). If you have any info on progress then go ahead and post it
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1