Contents
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Search
Login
Who Is Online?
We have 69 guests online
Navigation
Home Forum
Most Recent
Featured Articles
Joomla 1.5 Featured Articles
Navigation
Home Forum
English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

My first level's layout ready
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Ever wanted to play Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo in a single mission? That's what we're trying to create.
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: My first level's layout ready
My first level's layout ready 2012-09-24 02:26, 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
(Repost from DescentBB.net)

This is a Baloris Prime, D2 style level I made with the "Descent 1 and a half" project in mind, and my first level overall. It took me about hmmm... ten 8-hour days of work to finish the layout (not counting the gargantuan breaks I've been taking, duh). I have learned how to use DLE decently by making this mission alone, learned a lot of tricks too. Hope my future missions will take slightly less time and work to complete, but my painstaking precision is a pain in that regard.

This version is still subject to corrections and bug fixes. I'm especially concerned with making secret doors identical on both sides (if that's possible with all of them to begin with) and having the level playable in Vertigo version (my Rebirth refuses to play any custom Vertigo levels, it just exits with no error message when I try), as of right now this level is pure Descent 2.

The level has:

- the whole layout completed (though I might add some secret doors later)
- all the triggers scripted, all puzzles solvable. several (as of yet empty) goody caches accessible with tricky enough puzzles
- all the matcens rigged
- all keys

The level lacks:

- all but several standing robots
- all weaponry
- all but like one powerup

I decided I'll add all that stuff when the mission finds itself in its intended setting, that is the D1.5 campaign. This level will contain a healthy number of Class 1 Drones, Red Fatty Jrs, E-Bandits, BPERs and Bulk Destroyers. The usual Baloris Prime entourage. But joining in will be a literal crapload of Class 1 Drillers and Super Hulks to make the players weep and remember the good old terrifying days of Descent 1.

The theme is clearly desert, but I've used many, many textures in this level, slightly over 100. There are several custom ones, imported from Descent 1's exclusive texture pool. I hope I haven't gone overboard with the texturing. The level does feel like a Baloris Prime level, though, and no particular extravagances have been taken in regard to style. Design is another issue, as it's rather haphazard.

Ok, that's all I have to say about the level. I'm pretty proud of it, so please examine it, do a fly-through and tell me whether my pride is well-founded
File Attachment:
File Name: kstation.zip
File Size: 92901
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My first level's layout ready 2012-09-25 18:08, 7 Years ago Karma: 8
kstation tested
Everything is working. I noticed nothing wrong with the secret doors.
The level is big. With secrets and switches enough
There is a normal door, near yellow key, that has a wrong texture on the outside I think. YK is in a room with 2 tunnels with doors leading to this room. When you are at the YK place, it is the door on your left hand that has a wrong texture on its other side.
Player can destroy the reactor without entering the reactor room too.
Keep on the good work.
Mzero
Mzero
Gold Boarder
graphgraph

Re: My first level's layout ready 2012-09-27 00:02, 7 Years ago Karma: 5
Ok, thanks. I've already done some corrections, I'll do those as well
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: My first level's layout ready 2012-10-09 23:20, 7 Years ago Karma: 0
I have looked at it on the level editor. I like the room with the red key. The lighs are good. I've seen many amateur levels with unnatural light.
sepia
sepia
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: My first level's layout ready 2012-10-10 19:01, 7 Years ago Karma: 5
It's best to let the editor itself handle the lighting actually... but you need to recalculate it every time you add a new light. It's rather tiresome.
Xfing
Xfing
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1